Friday, September 02, 2005

volunteerism....

I volunteer. Alot. Mostly for arts related things (although I have also worked for environmental groups, walked dogs for the SPCA, served soup in a soup kitchen, and worked with battered women's support groups). These days, mostly I do merch for bands, work for other theatre companies, volunteer at festivals, work my ass off for a couple events which I wouldn't trade for the world.

In the past week two people have called me stupid for my volunteer activities (one of whom I actually do volunteer work for so go figure). Someone else uttered seeming dissatisfaction with the volunteer work that she does - calling it frivolous and indulgent. I understand that she was speaking of the type of voluteering, maybe comparing it to saving the world through peace rallies and marches, or working with orphans in Africa, or teaching literacy... all are wondrous and beautiful ways of volunteering, of giving back. There are many volunteer activities that are more "life-altering," perhaps more humanitarian. And I also understand that she wasn't talking about my volunteering, although we do many of the same things.

I don't agree. With the stupid; or the frivolous and indulgent.

I started volunteering in the arts more or less as a favour to some friends, and then as a way to enjoy more of the arts. Purely selfish motivations I admit - but I don't think that because I get something out of the experience I am being self-indulgent. I wanted to see more shows and I couldn't afford to go to whatever I wanted so I started offering to sell merch, to poster, to usher. All of it to help people who, in my head, had already given me so much - as a way to say thank-you... but mostly as a way to see more shows. I had friends in music, in theatre - it was easy to get involved. And I loved it. I still love it. I love being at these events with a purpose. I love feeling that sense of belonging, that sense that I am a part of it all.

I got my current job at a place where I volunteered alot. Essentially I volunteered my way in. I worked hard until the folks here knew they wanted me onboard and when someone left, I got their job.

Volunteering looks good on a resume. ANY kind of volunteering. Volunteering, whatever the "cause" - means you are giving of yourself for nothing. And I think that's admirable. Volunteering also means I meet interesting and unusual people, become part of a community. And I like that.

And I get more out of it: more satisfaction, more enjoyment, more focus... than you could possibly imagine.

So please, no matter how much you think you are looking out for me - even if you are just worried I am being taken advantage of (because I'm pretty sure that's where the "stupid" comment came from). I do this because I enjoy it. Doesn't mean on occasion I won't be tired or grumpy or frustrated with aspects of it. But I will always come back for more.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com