Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I'm busy, really really busy

My schedule is frequently insane. Busy is essentially my state of being. I push to the point of exhaustion; I have fallen asleep in the bar while trying to watch a friend play a gig; I volunteer...alot; I double book and go to two or three things in an evening sometimes. And I do nothing to alter this reality.

I have to think about it quite hard sometimes (when I start to feel overwhelmed) in order to realize that most of the busy-ness is of my own creation. I don't mean work obligations - that's a given. I work in the arts, if you are not busy you probably won't have a job much longer (or be able to eat and pay bills). In all honesty if I look around at most of my contemporaries in the arts, they're all really busy, with extra bits to make ends meet, and fiery social lives to boot. And I have not one but two side "businesses" aside from my (HA!) 9 to 5 job.

But I don't stop there. I am out and about more or less constantly. There are no rules dictating my social schedule; no one will really get upset if I don't go to that event, or don't stay until 2 a.m. But I hate to miss things I just go. I just do.

Eventually I will take a night off, a vacation and hibernate for a night or two but I get stir crazy pretty quick and have to poke my nose out to see what's going on.

Because I hate to miss things. And I miss people most of all.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com