Thursday, August 11, 2005

but I don't want to go...

Remember back when you were a kid and you went to summer camp? And over the week (or month) you grew closer to those people (who started off as strangers; how is that possible?) than you could have imagined? Remember the day camp ended ( maybe even a day or two before) when you realized it was over and that you wouldn't see those people again for at least a year... maybe longer? Remember how much that hurt - the end of summer camp?

Well, right now it's the end of summer camp for me. All I want is to spend every last remaining bit of time I can there. I drag my feet when I leave each day - even as I look around and it looks less and less like the festival I love, as we dismantle the few remaining structures, as we put it back for the skiers and the park-goers. My eyes well up at odd moments when I realize this is the last time I will stand under a stage tent, or the last site breakfast I will eat.... The last time I might see that person.

The tough girl who I used to be afraid of cried when she left yesterday - going back to her real life in another city. It made me love her a little more that she cried. Because I'm going to cry. I'm pretty sure of it.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com