Friday, January 28, 2005

It’s like they blotted out the sun

She’s going away. She’s been sunshine personified to so many of us and now she’s moving to where the waves hit the sand. I was remarkably unprepared for this. I had no idea this news would hit like so many more tonnes of bricks. I’m used to people going away (I’ve gotten used to it; and I know they usually come back) and let’s be honest, she hasn’t been around forever or for often.

But I feel a piece of my heart travelling on with her. (I have a feeling I’m not the first). I feel a diminishing of the light – especially that special light that hit the far corners of my heart, found the dark places and said that’s ok.

She burst into our world like one of those sparklers people light on New Year’s Eve: bright, sparkling, making us smile, giggle, feel like it’s a better place. Above all she made us dance. She could even make strangers dance – I’ve seen it happen.

And now she’s taking those sparkling blue eyes elsewhere. And the sun in my world doesn’t shine quite so brightly.

I know the continued rhythm of hello and goodbye. I worry less about it than I used to. But this one brought tears to my eyes; unbidden, almost unexpected but immediate in their sting.

God I’ll miss her.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com