Wednesday, January 19, 2005

For my many artist friends...

If only the artists could simply be artists. I often wish that they had the time to devote solely to their respective pursuits.

enough time, enough money, enough to eat, enough to drink, stimulating conversation, a soft bed, abundant love…

I wish they had all of these things without having to waste their precious energy on the day to day. If only she had time to sit and write. If only he didn’t have to work that dreaded day job. If only he could just live in the studio. If only they could make music endlessly. I dream of artistic co-ops, or lottery wins to be able to make their lives easier and more full of art, song, dance… I don’t mean this is about money – only in the mundane is that what I mean, in the sense of necessary resources, hierarchy of needs type stuff. I truly wish for them more time, time to immerse themselves in the earthy and ethereal arts they love and are compelled by and drawn towards. More freedom to simply create.

But I wonder if it’s that scarcity that makes the artistic more meaningful, more productive, deeper? I wonder if they had this miracle of time and resources that I wish for them - would their minds stop creating so readily. I wonder if removing the obstacles would dull the edge. Some people say artists must suffer for their art.

I don’t know the answer. I just wish them more creations, more songs, more poems. And all the time in the world to enjoy them.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com