Friday, November 05, 2004

and while we're on the topic...

I don't want people to get the wrong idea. Even though I am (frequently) homesick, I do not want to move back home. I miss it; I miss the ocean desperately and always, I miss red leaves in the fall and I miss fresh fish at dinner time - but I have no desire to move back there. Nor do I hate this province where I live. And I don't live here because of some feeling that I "have to" - in order to have work, or whatever - that seems to afflict so many of my fellow transplants.

I live here because I want to. I live here because I love the people, I love the vibe of my life here. I love Canola yellow fields and their intoxicating smell. I love how sunny it is here in winter (but no, I don't love -30, although the first time each year my nostrils freeze does make me giggle). I love the smell of hay at harvest time. I love the long straight roads. I love the prairie horizons. I love the hoodoos and coulees of the southern province. I love the vibrancy of the arts scene in this landlocked city. I love the festivals. I love CKUA and CJSR. I love the proximity to the mountains which will be forever awe-inspiring. I love the fact that there are cowboys here. I love the Eskimos and the Trappers and that if I want to see professional teams of four different sports play, I can. I love love love the northern lights.

There are things that I don't like, I admit that, but for the most part, I love this place. It's home. I know its confusing to have two places you call home but that's the way it is. It bothers me when people talk like this is the worst place in the world to live. I used to talk that way about Moncton. I MOVED.

I chose to live here and I think that means I should make the most of it, something I haven't found it difficult to do. I may still bitch about Alberta drivers and about the cold and about the government. And I still think Telus and Alberta Health are abhorrent to deal with. But I love this place and the people I surround myself with. That's what this place is to me. And it's not half bad.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com