Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I watched two movies last night that I didn't like the first time I watched them. No, that's too small a statement. They were the source of abject disappointment the first time I saw them... to the point that I stopped watching the second one; turned it off. I'm talking about the Harry Potter movies.

I guess when a movie is based on a book you loved; and you (perhaps unfairly but, given the timing of their respective releases, inevitably) compare it to another book adaptation that to say the least, measures up well to your expectations (LOTR).... well, I guess there is always the possibility of disappointment.

And I was. Very disappointed. And I have been vocal almost to the point of anger about that disappointment.

But this time around, maybe because my expecations weren't there, maybe because I was in my living room as opposed to a theatre (I was only in a theatre for the first one), maybe because it's been awhile since I read any of the books, maybe because I was on muscle relaxants.... there was a certain charm this time around. I'm still not a big Dobby fan; and I still think the centaur looks like something out of Clash of the Titans; and I think the relationship development in the books is far superior than the abbreviated version in the movie; and the growth spurt of Ron Weasly and Draco is just creepy... but they were fun to watch this time around.

I'm mostly writing this because I was so vocal about NOT liking the movies that I felt like I needed to publically declare their "not-that-bad"-ness.

So there. I did. And I hear the third one is pretty good.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com