Monday, February 16, 2004

The Fifth Beatle

...or maybe not the Beatles. But I met the fifth last night, the missing piece, the one I hadn't seen before (or held in my heart where the others have lived for so long), the one I never missed because he was never here. I think I "took it easy on him" as instructed. Whatever that meant - he didn't seem frightened. It was not a long enough meeting to figure him out, to see how he fits in that picture I have of them. But at the same time there was a familiarity borne of stories and recommendations and mutual awareness of one another. It was strange to be able to say "I'm T." and have someone instantly recognize me by initial alone. (Made me smile - I guess the stories couldn't have been all bad! Imagine that!)

I enjoyed meeting him (finally), however briefly, and I look forward to the next visit when he may actually pick up a guitar and show why he was the fifth. Then the picture will be complete, or as complete as it can be never having been there when it all came together.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com