Monday, September 13, 2004

oddly political

I realized while driving home from the festival in a ghost town that I had been completely oblivious to what day had just passed. In my pleasant, music filled isolation I had simply forgotten. We stopped for supper on the way home and happened to see a paper with all the references to the anniversary and I realized I had missed it entirely. One article spoke of the fact that people in Toronto were angry that there was no public memorial or marking of the occasion...in Toronto.

Now before anyone freaks out at me or anything please let me say that I think what happened in New York on September 11th was a truly horrible thing. And I feel much sympathy for those impacted by it.

But do we really need to re-live it year after year with memorials and speeches and fear mongering? We do less for our war veterans for crying out loud.

Every day at least as many people die in countries all over the world from disease and hunger.
EVERY DAY.
Every day hundreds, probably thousands of people die in wars waged around the world.
EVERY DAY.

I know that it is important to remember people we have lost. I understand the need to commemorate such events. I am sorry for everyone who may have lost someone close to them on that day...or on any day for that matter. I just don't know if having giant memorials and stirring up "publicity" for the US' "anti-terrorism" efforts really accomplishes what those people need or if it's just an excuse to dredge up fear and stir the pot .

Either way I think every year from now on, I am going to go camping in a ghost town to commemorate my Septemeber 11th.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com