Thursday, May 06, 2004

My season

When I lived on the East Coast, my favourite season was autumn. Because on the East coast, autumn can be as warm as summer in the days, but the evenings start to feel refreshingly cool (instead of humid and hot). And the leaves! The leaves the leaves the leaves! Leaves the likes of which are never seen here on the prairie; colours unimaginable! (But I covered this already - last fall sometime - and it's not the point today.)

Here I think my season is summer (although here too it can be almost unbearably hot; forgiveable only for the magical thunder and lightening that comes along with the stifling heat). But I really love this time of year - the lead up; some may say "the tease". When days can be so summer-like and yet you can wake up with frost on your car. When April brings sunburns and backyard fires; and May reminds me of festival season fast approaching. When my brain insists that it's already summer, and I "dress inappropriately for the weather" (wow - who knew you could sound so much like my Mom?).

This time of year just feels like summer... or at least you can see it there, in the distance. You can almost touch it. And that in itself is a wonderful sunshine-y feeling.

NOTE: I know my friend Jess posted about a similar topic today but I'd been thinking about this since she mentioned in the comments about not being upset about the weather...

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com