Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Expectations

"Never expect" That's what he told me once, pointing me away from my eager anticipation, my tendency to build things in my mind before they happen, as they are happening. And, in all honesty, sometimes it pays to never expect. It steers me away from disapointment.... sometimes. I see that now.

But I love that feeling. The way my heart flutters when I anticipate something grand about to happen. The way the mere thought of it can bring that secret smile to my lips, taking me away from my surroundings to that new place and time that I can see oh-so-clearly. Pirate ships and Broadway and simple airport greetings. Some may seem grand and even a teeny bit crazy but in context it all makes sense Isn't it just directed imagination?

And so I continue (sorry beloved) to expect and anticipate and imagine great and wonderful things, simple and beautiful things, even impossibly grand things. Because even with momentary disapointments, the feeling is worth it in the end. The secret smile, the giggly imaginings....

Even if sometimes things don't measure up to my expectations.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com