Thursday, April 21, 2005

Dogs Playing Poker (Or "I don't know anything about art - part two")

I don't mean to say that I love art indiscriminately. I also know what I don't like.

I don't like cookie cutter pop music, manufactured boy bands (or girl bands), or bands who sound exactly the same every time they put out a single (as in: you can play one song over another and the only difference is lyrics), bands from Hanna (oh, I just covered that one). But I can appreciate a well written pop song, whether I like it or not. I like to think "image" is not part of my consideration... although I am an admitted sucker for "sensitive guy with a guitar: all alt-pop-rock-country variations". I like old country, and a fair amount of alt-country but not "new country."

I'm generally not a fan of rap music, although I think whoever is behind the videos for Eminem is quite talented. And there have been variations on rap/hip hop that I adore (Michael Franti anyone?). I will never own electronica/house/trance or any of those lyricless "beat"-centric types of music... but I'm willing to get sweaty on a dance floor to them any day of the week.

I have no idea how someone decides on the top 10 records of all time. Or the top 10 of anything of all time for that matter... who says?

I think I know when a painting is better than another painting. But I don't have the vocabulary to say why. I think I know when a painting is "unfocused". And I know when it doesn't "speak to me" but again, that is me and totally subjective so I don't know if that counts. And sometimes I like kitchy art that I know isn't really good, or simple art that I think might be good, but doesn't necessarily look like something a two-year-old couldn't reproduce.

I love such a wide array of books and movies that this may be the surest evidence of my lack of knowledge. Or it may be evidence of my openness. I like arty movies, foreign movies, many "great movies; I've read alot of "literature" and great works of fiction (and non) but I also enjoy a good chick flick and a hot romance novel. (But yes, I know the difference.) I'd rather be easily entertained than constantly dissatisfied so I'm ok with this. I can appreciate the technical aspects of film and writing. I can appreciate when something is visually stunning but if it's also incomprehensible, I don't think it's a good movie.

I am aware of the nuances of great acting, even in bad plays. I know that some great plays can be awful. I know that I almost never agree with theatre reviewers. I know when a bad play is technically superb - lights, sound, set, direction. I understand all these things. But again, I need to relate; it has to hit me where it hurts...in some way...even if it's in my funny bone.

So maybe I know something about art. Or maybe not. But I appreciate it. More than most I think. And maybe that's more important.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com