Saturday, April 10, 2004

craving waves... and my grandmother's pie

Easter and Thanksgiving are the only two times throughout the year that I can predict, to the point of expecting it: Homesickness. That craving for family, and for home. For the waves and the turkey and the pie that only my grandmother can make properly. But mostly for the people - that feeling of being a part of a family, of something bigger than myself, with history and connection. Sometimes I even miss being stuck at the kids' table (in spite of having graduated from university and being a "grown-up" for a few years now) I guess probably because those two holidays are really the only days other than Christmas when my family (extended) regularly gets together - those are the days when I am thinking most about the things I miss. But even though I always know it's coming, sometimes that homesickness borders on paralyzing.

But it seems I am incredibly lucky. Because this Easter weekend I have been invited to share in three - count 'em three!! - holiday related events! And I am incredibly grateful to the friends and their families for including me.

For once, I haven't had much time to be homesick.

Thanks for that. It meant alot to me.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com